Tuesday 22 September 2009

Yasmin Ahmad’s Films: facts about Amir Muhammad’s new book

From the KLue blog:

Yasminahmadsfilms_big_std

Yasmin Ahmad’s Films: facts about Amir Muhammad’s new book

Friday, 18/09/09 - 17:18PM Filed in Blog by zedeck


The world of Malaysian moving pictures, aside from its recent triumphs, have also been afflicted by a singular tragedy: the passing of beloved filmmaker Yasmin Ahmad on 26 July.
It seemed as if the entire nation went into mourning. There were heartfelt tributes from fellow filmmakers, the press, members of the public. More unscrupulous bodies, such as Kosmo!and Mangga Online, published exposes of Yasmin's private life - and were roundly (and rightly) criticised for it.
Three months on, we are still mulling over what Yasmin's films mean to us, and what sort of effect her life - and death - has had / will have on Malaysia.
Enter Amir Muhammad's Yasmin Ahmad's Films. When we ask him what, exactly, his new book is about, Amir says: "I want to keep it a secret."
However, he is kind enough to drop a hint: a tribute of Yasmin he wrote for Canadian film magazine Cinema Scope. Go read! The article's postscript reads:
"He decided to write the forthcoming book Yasmin Ahmad's Films (Matahari Books, ISBN 9789834484514) after realizing this article leaves many things unsaid."
~
So the book is new stuff by you? When was it written?
Yes it's by me, and it's over 60,000 words long!
It was written entirely in the fasting month, in two weeks, from 2 to 15 September. We are now in the proofreading stage. It consists of 8 chapters - and the names of the chapters are written right there, on the doughnut that is on the cover.
Where did the book come from? What prompted you to write it?
[When Yasmin passed away] I was depressed and even angry. But depression and anger alone won't make the type of book that I wanted to write. I was then commissioned by Cinema Scope to write an article about her in August, and after I finished it I felt that I had much, much more to say.
I was prompted to really start the book when I heard about another death, of a Filipino friend of mine named Alexis Tioseco. He was a film critic, only 29, and I think he would have wanted to read it - although it certainly isn't an orthodox book of film criticism.
I didn't sleep at night for two whole weeks and I even fell ill, but I went on with it.
How much is the book going for?
On Amazon.com it's USD20! Local price, we don't know yet. Depends on how many pages, and what type of paper we choose.
My royalties go to the newly established Mercy-Yasmin Ahmad Fund for Children, so I don't want the price to be too low.
When will it launch?
It's already set to launch in Seoul on 19 November. Some nice folks thought it should be launched there, at an international conference on multiculturalism and film - so who am I to refuse? So I said yes, even though the book wasn't even fully written yet. But hey, all writers need deadlines.
Back in Malaysia, I would love to do a series of events based on the book, in colleges and so on. Representatives from Mercy will also be joining in to encourage volunteerism among the yoof.
~

Our interests are piqued. Once again: Amir Muhammad's Yasmin Ahmad's Films is already available for pre-order on Amazon.com!



Go here for the original link.

No comments:

Post a Comment